MEGAN L. MEIER
Megan L. Meier
Megan L. Meier is one of the nation’s top defamation lawyers, has racked up wins in some of the highest-profile defamation matters in the United States, has fixed or nixed false stories before they were published, and has scored countless corrections and retractions from the national media, including The Associated Press, The New York Times, The Guardian, The Hill, Politico, The Register, Business Insider, and The Daily Mail, among others.
Megan represented Dominion Voting Systems in its historic defamation litigation against Fox News over the network’s dangerous disinformation about the 2020 election, which resulted in a summary judgment finding that Fox’s accusations about Dominion were false, and an unprecedented $787.5 million settlement. Megan also represents Dominion in defamation litigation against others who pushed conspiracy theories about the election, including One America News, the MyPillow Guy, Sidney Powell, and Rudy Giuliani, among others.
Megan represents a number of clients facing defamatory attacks in the NFT space, and recently won an attorneys’ fee award on behalf of Yuga Labs. Earlier this year, she negotiated a $16 million defamation settlement for a venture capitalist involved in a proxy fight. And she previously scored a $3.375 million settlement and public apology from the Southern Poverty Law Center.
She “is extraordinary and a shaper in her industry—she is intellectually superior, strategic, fearless, and sees around corners,” said Paul Daversa, founder of Daversa Partners. “If you find yourself in the unenviable position of being targeted with defamatory attacks, you want Megan in your corner fighting back,” said in-house counsel for another Fortune 500 company. She is “among the very best” and is “an aggressive top-tier litigator” whose “expertise in defamation law is unsurpassed.”
In 2020, Megan was recognized by the National Law Journal as one of Washington DC’s 40 Under 40. She has also received nominations to America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators and the Best of the Bar, an exclusive recognition bestowed on less than 1% of licensed attorneys nationwide.
Recognized as a thought leader among plaintiff-side defamation attorneys, Megan is often tapped to teach continuing legal education courses and has spoken about defamation law for the New York Bar, the DC Bar, Fordham University, and the Clear Law Institute.
- District of Columbia
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- State of Illinois
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Instructor, District of Columbia Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program, Defamation 101
- Instructor, District of Columbia Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program, Is that Defamation? Using the Law to Fight Online Attacks
- Instructor, Clear Law Institute, Bad Press: Fighting Back Against False Media Attacks
- Panelist, Defamation Law in the MeToo Era, Fordham University School of Law
- Panelist, Rethinking Libel Law in a New Era of Journalism, Task Force on Free Expression in the Digital Age and the Committee on Continuing Legal Education of the New York State Bar Association
University of Michigan Law School,
University of Michigan, B.A.,
With Distinction, 2003
Senior Associate, Clare Locke LLP, 2014-2016
Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, 2008-2014