As former partners at litigation powerhouse Kirkland & Ellis, with more than 25 years combined experience, Tom and Libby formed Clare Locke LLP to be a litigation boutique with a national practice focused on complex, high-stakes civil litigation. With an emphasis on courtroom advocacy, client service, and delivering results, Clare Locke LLP represents both plaintiffs and defendants in trials, internal investigations, U.S. Supreme Court and appellate cases, and arbitrations before domestic and international tribunals.
Our team has extensive experience litigating class actions, securities, RICO, complex contracts, insurance coverage, associational standing, punitive damages, preliminary injunctions, orders for specific performance, and attorneys’ fee awards. We have also spent considerable time litigating matters in the “Rocket Docket,” the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, where suits are frequently litigated – from the filing of a complaint to final jury verdict – in less than a year.
Clare Locke’s highly skilled team has received national recognition for their performance in the courtroom. Tom Clare has been featured on The National Law Journal’s “Defense Hot List” for the his defense of Nationwide Insurance Company. And in 2014, Libby Locke was named a D.C. “Rising Star” in appellate litigation by Super Lawyers Magazine.
- Lead counsel for national property and casualty insurer in parens patriae suit filed by state Attorney General.
- Lead counsel for national property and casualty insurer in eight-state class action regarding premium discounts.
- Trial counsel for national food distribution company in arbitration regarding accounting and indemnification disputes arising from acquisition.
- Local counsel for plaintiff in E.D. Va. (“rocket docket”) breach of contract action against government contractor for unpaid invoices.
- Trial counsel for national HVAC distributor in rebate dispute.
- Lead counsel for national life insurer in unclaimed property litigation filed by state Treasurer.
- Trial counsel for a national food distribution company in arbitration of disputed post-closing adjustments to $180M acquisition transaction.